Debian Software Packages list in "stable"
- Utilities to administer
system resources, manage user accounts, etc.
- Basic needed utilities of
every Debian system (you needn't install this,
they're provided only
- for upgrading purposes).
- Software to use your modem in
the old fashioned style.
debian-installer udeb packages
- Special packages for building
customized debian-installer variants. Do not
install them on
- a normal system!
- Development utilities,
compilers, development environments, libraries,
- FAQs, HOWTOs and other
documents trying to explain everything related
- and software needed to browse
documentation (man, info, etc).
- Software to edit files.
- Electronics utilities.
- Software suitable for use in
- Programs to spend a nice time
with after all this setting up.
- The GNOME desktop
environment, a powerful, easy to use set of
- Editors, viewers,
converters... Everything to become an artist.
- Software for ham radio.
- All kind of interpreters for
interpreted languages. Macro processors.
- The K Desktop Environment, a
powerful, easy to use set of integrated
- Libraries necessary for
developers to write programs that use them.
- Libraries to make other
programs work. They provide special features to
- Programs to route, read, and
compose E-mail messages
- Math software.
- Miscellaneous utilities that
didn't fit well anywhere else.
- Daemons and clients to
connect your Debian GNU/Linux system to the
- Software to access Usenet, to
set up news servers, etc.
- Old versions of libraries,
kept for backward compatibility with old
Other OS's and file systems
- Software to run programs
compiled for other operating system, and to use
- their filesystems.
- Everything about Perl, an
interpreted scripting language.
- Everything about Python, an
interpreted, interactive object oriented
- Basic tools for scientific
- Command shells. Friendly user
interfaces for beginners.
- Utilities to deal with sound:
mixers, players, recorders, CD players, etc.
- The famous typesetting
software and related programs.
- Utilities to format and print
- Utilities for file/disk
manipulation, backup and archive tools, system
- input systems, etc.
- Virtual packages.
- Web servers, browsers,
proxies, download tools etc.
X Window System software
- X servers, libraries, fonts,
window managers, terminal emulators and many
- related applications.