Debian Software Packages list in "testing"
- Utilities to administer system resources,
manage user accounts, etc.
- Basic needed utilities of every Debian
system (you needn't install this, they're
provided only for upgrading purposes).
- Software to use your modem in the old
debian-installer udeb packages
- Special packages for building customized
debian-installer variants. Do not install them
on a normal system!
- Development utilities, compilers,
development environments, libraries, etc.
- FAQs, HOWTOs and other documents trying to
explain everything related to Debian, and
software needed to browse documentation (man,
- Software to edit files. Programming
- Electronics utilities.
- Software suitable for use in embedded
- Programs to spend a nice time with after all
this setting up.
- The GNOME desktop environment, a powerful,
easy to use set of integrated applications.
- Editors, viewers, converters... Everything
to become an artist.
- Software for ham radio.
- All kind of interpreters for interpreted
languages. Macro processors.
- The K Desktop Environment, a powerful, easy
to use set of integrated applications.
- Libraries necessary for developers to write
programs that use them.
- Libraries to make other programs work. They
provide special features to developers.
- Programs to route, read, and compose E-mail
- Math software.
- Miscellaneous utilities that didn't fit well
- Daemons and clients to connect your Debian
GNU/Linux system to the world.
- Software to access Usenet, to set up news
- Old versions of libraries, kept for backward
compatibility with old applications.
Other OS's and file systems
- Software to run programs compiled for other
operating system, and to use their filesystems.
- Everything about Perl, an interpreted
- Everything about Python, an interpreted,
interactive object oriented language.
- Basic tools for scientific work
- Command shells. Friendly user interfaces for
- Utilities to deal with sound: mixers,
players, recorders, CD players, etc.
- The famous typesetting software and related
- Utilities to format and print text
- Utilities for file/disk manipulation, backup
and archive tools, system monitoring, input
- Virtual packages.
- Web servers, browsers, proxies, download
X Window System software
- X servers, libraries, fonts, window
managers, terminal emulators and many related